It didn’t take long for Dalton Widner to make his mark on Monster Jam. The Knoxville, Tennessee native scored a racing win in just his second attempt, beating Weston Anderson and Grave Digger in the final round in Worcester, Massachusetts in February 2022. Widner got interested in Monster Jam by watching the sport as a preschooler. He came from a drag racing family and often left football practice as a teenager to assist a local team with trucks. He attended University of North Carolina-Charlotte and played offensive line for the 49ers football squad before choosing to join Team Throttle Monster in 2022.
- What are some of your interests/hobbies/favorite pastimes?
I love all types of racing, so if it isn’t Monster Jam, I love watching drag racing, short course truck racing, Baja, drifting and all kinds of stuff! I also really enjoy video games. If I have a little spare time at home, I’ll play a few rounds of whatever game seems fun to me at the time. Another hobby I’ve had since I was a kid is RCs. My dad got me my first hobby grade RC when I was around 10 years old, and I’ve been hooked on those ever since!
- Who are your role models?
My parents most definitely. They set such an awesome example for me as a kid and raised me to be the man I am today. I aspire to have the character and temperament that my dad has and the attentiveness and focus that my mom has.
- Do you have any pre-show rituals you run through?
Every show I climb in my truck a little early, get belted in and tighten down just a little bit. Then, I close my eyes and relax for a few seconds and breathe deep before it’s go time.
- What's something a lot of people don't know about you?
I used to play Division 1 college football at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte!
- What is your favorite memory on or off the racetrack?
My favorite memory is definitely my first Monster Jam racing win at my first ever Monster Jam event in Worcester, Massachusetts. I raced against some drivers that I’ve looked up to for a very long time. They are some of the most skilled drivers out there right now, in my opinion. It’s a win I’m very proud of.
- What is your most prized possession?
It’s hard to choose just one, but I’d have to say it’s my 1973 Camaro. My dad bought that car before I was born, and it’s been with us my whole life. I learned a lot of my mechanical knowledge with my dad when we had it apart and back together. Every time I see that car I see my dad, so I could never get rid of it.
LIFE ON THE ROAD
- What is the best and worst thing about being on the road every weekend with Monster Jam?
The best thing is seeing the sights that every city has to offer and meeting the new and excited fans at every venue we go to. I have memories watching my heroes compete in some of the very buildings I’ve been to, so it’s an awesome feeling of satisfaction that I’m living my dream! The worst thing has to be the time away from home. Being on the road really makes you appreciate the time you get to spend with friends and family and how precious that time is.
- While on tour, what is your favorite thing to do during your free time?
I find the best restaurants in town and chow down! I’m also a big fan of history, so museums are really enjoyable for me!
- How do you keep fit?
Rolling the giant BKT tires around and working on Monster Jam trucks before, during and after events definitely helps keep me in shape!
- What item(s) can you not live without while traveling on the road with Monster Jam?
My speaker in the trailer because I can’t work without some music!
- What is your favorite city to travel to? Why?
My favorite so far has been Las Vegas, NV. The fans there are some of the loudest I’ve ever heard!
- What countries have you visited with Monster Jam?
USA and Canada
- How did you get started competing in Monster Jam?
I started by volunteering for teams that would come to my hometown show, when I was 14 years old. I would help tire up and down trucks, clean them, clean the trailers or anything I was ever asked to do. From then to when I was 19, I volunteered trying to get my name out there and then I finally got a full-time job as a crew guy and eventually worked my way up into a driver’s seat!
- What is your favorite part about competing in Monster Jam?
My favorite part has to be freestyle. When I finish my freestyle runs, I always get out and wave to the fans. Seeing the kids in the stands cheering really brings me joy because I remember I used to be one of those kids!
- How would you describe your driving style?
My driving style is a mix of old school and new style tricks. I love getting some huge air, doing some stand up sky wheelies and hanging the steering wheel out the window in a donut. It’s just like the drivers I watched growing up. I also really enjoy throwing in some newer tricks like stoppies, moonwalks and bicycles.
- What advice would you give to kids who want to become a Monster Jam driver?
Don’t ever lose sight of your goal, and don’t ever let anyone tell you that you can’t do it.
- What is your greatest memory as a Monster Jam driver?
My greatest memory was the day I arrived for the first Monster Jam event of my career. I felt such a feeling of satisfaction and fulfillment that I had finally made it to the big leagues!
- Who in Monster Jam do you look up to for inspiration?
Coty Saucier. I’ve always loved his driving style and how fast he is in racing. He also started out as a crew chief that became a driver later on, so I look at him and his accomplishments a lot for inspiration.
- Do you have any nicknames?
- What’s your favorite movie?
- What’s your favorite television show?
- What’s your favorite color?
- What’s your favorite thing to eat?
- What’s your favorite restaurant on the road?
- How would your friends and family describe you?
Honest, loyal, caring, goofy, humble, competitive and generally a good time!
ARENA SERIES EAST
POINTS THROUGH JAN. 22, 2023
|1||Weston Anderson||Grave Digger||228||-|
|2||Armando Castro||El Toro Loco||205||-23|
|4||Dalton Widner||Jurassic Attack||176||-52|
|5||Hunter Souza||Earth Shaker||131||-97|
|8||Frank Krmel||Stone Crusher||74||-154|