Driving Axe for Team Scream gave Chris Koehler the in-road he needed to begin to make his mark on Monster Jam competition. The second-generation racer made his Monster Jam debut in October 2020, just days after his 21st birthday. In 2023, Chris Koehler competed in a full season and earned co-Rookie of the Year honors. One could say “like father, like son” as Chris follows in the footsteps of his father “Mr. Excitement,” Jim Koehler.
- 2023 Rookie of the Year
- What are some of your interests/hobbies/favorite pastimes?
My biggest interest is monster trucks. I also ride dirt bikes.
- Who are your role models?
Jim Koehler, Tom Meents, and Colby Raha
- Do you have any pre-show rituals you run through?
Before the event, I have to listen to certain songs, get dressed a certain way, and walk the track extensively. I also do not eat a lot on race day.
- What's something a lot of people don't know about you?
A lot of people do not know that I have a bachelor’s degree in welding engineering technology from Ferris State University.
- What is your favorite memory on or off the racetrack?
My favorite memory off the racetrack has to be all the years I spent in college building all the connections I have made along the way. Graduating was a great honor and a very bittersweet moment.
- What is your most prized possession?
My most prized possession is easily my monster truck. I also have a tricked out 2021 crf110.
LIFE ON THE ROAD
- What is the best and worst thing about being on the road every weekend with Monster Jam?
Getting to spend time hanging out with the other drivers and crew is my favorite part. My least favorite part has to be all of the time driving the semi from one event to the next.
- While on tour, what is your favorite thing to do during your free time?
My favorite thing to do in my free time is to workout, listen to music, hangout with friends, think of new tricks to perform in the truck, watch a good movie, and think of new concepts.
- How do you keep fit?
I work out 5-6 times a week to stay in the best shape possible. I also watch my diet trying to eat as many vegetables as possible. I also consume a lot of chicken.
- What item(s) can you not live without while traveling on the road with Monster Jam?
I need music so headphones are number one priority. Second has to be protein powder. Energy drinks are also a must.
- What is your favorite city to travel to?
Las Vegas or Arlington
- What countries have you visited with Monster Jam?
I have only travelled in the United States and Canada so far. Hoping to see many more in the future!
- How did you get started competing in Monster Jam?
My dad has been driving since before I was born so I have grown up watching and working on monster trucks. Once I hit 18, I had earned myself a seat and started driving.
- What is your favorite part about competing in Monster Jam?
My favorite part is the level of competition; it is the highest level of competition with the toughest drivers you can find. I also enjoy racing in stadiums full of 40,000+ fans.
- How would you describe your driving style?
My driving style is very on the edge. I would describe it as chaos with wild situations I put myself in while driving the monster truck.
- What advice would you give to kids who want to become a Monster Jam driver?
Chase your dreams. Nothing is impossible, the best things in life never come easy or everyone would be doing it! Be the best you can be!
- What is your greatest memory as a Monster Jam driver?
My favorite memory has to be when my dad won Monster Jam World Finals in 2012 or my huge air from Arlington in 2020.
- Who in Monster Jam do you look up to for inspiration?
Jim Koehler, Tom Meents, Ryan Anderson, and Mikey Vaters
- Do you have any nicknames?
Chris, The Terminator, Chris Sicko Mode, The Main Event, Chris Hollywood
- What’s your favorite movie?
- What’s your favorite television show?
Ozark, Breaking Bad, Rick and Morty, or Bojack Horseman
- What’s your favorite color?
- What’s your favorite thing to eat?
- What’s your favorite restaurant on the road?
- How would your friends and family describe you?
Wild, driven, funny, talkative, reliable, good company, and an extrovert
Chris Koehler GALLERY
STADIUM SERIES BLUE
CHAMPION: TYLER MENNINGA
POINTS THROUGH May 20, 2023
|1||Tyler Menninga||Grave Digger||642||-|
|2||Ryan Anderson||Son-uva Digger||617||-25|
|5||Cynthia Gauthier||Lucas Stabilizer||413||-229|
|6||Mark List/Charlie Pauken/Chelsea Vancleve/Coty Saucier||El Toro Loco||409||-233|
|7||John Gordon||Bad Company||409||-233|
|9||Chris Koehler||Monster Mutt||391||-251|
|12||Joe Foley||AXE/The Rod Ryan Show||290||-352|