Matt Cody wasn’t even old enough to drive when he started working on monster trucks as an eighth grader. Growing up in Maryland, he was centrally located to assist Mike Vaters of Black Stallion, who provided Cody with the early education by allowing the youngster to serve as a crew member. Cody moved into the driver’s seat in 2012 and drove in his first Monster Jam event in 2014. In addition to Vaters, Cody was also friends with Steven and Mike Thompson, who went on to compete in the sport, through a shared love of wrestling in high school. It didn’t take long for Cody to mark a mark, winning the 2015 Arena Wheelie of the Year title. His consistent performances opened door for more competition and he earned a berth in the 2019 Speedster Obstacle Course field at World Finals XX in Orlando. Cody captured the title there, the only driver to date to claim the honor.
- 2015 Arena Wheelie of the Year
- 2019 Monster Jam World Finals Speedster Obstacle Course Champion
- What are some of your interests/hobbies/favorite pastimes?
I have four kids so they take up a lot of my time! I enjoy spending time with them and my wife. We live on 54 acres, and I enjoy just being outside riding 4 wheelers, working on the property and being active.
- Who are your role models?
Mike Vaters; he’s always been a father figure to me. There are a few others out there that motivate me to do better.
- Do you have any ‘pre-show’ rituals you run through?
I like to walk around the truck and visually make sure things are ready to go.
- What's something a lot of people don't know about you?
I'm a wrestling coach for Junior league wrestling
- What is your favorite memory on or off the racetrack?
Every event is a new memory for me but getting to compete in 2015 for the first time in my hometown event at Hagerstown Speedway where I watched monster trucks growing up!
- What is your most prized possession?
My 2019 Monster Jam World Finals Speedster Championship trophy. I was the first and only one to win that event!
Life on the Road
- What is the best and worst thing about being on the road every weekend with Monster Jam?
The best thing is that I’m living my dream, something that I’ve worked hard at and just traveling the world seeing all the sights. The worst would definitely be just leaving home and my family.
- While on the road, what is your favorite thing to do during your free time?
Checking out the sights and finding new places to eat
- How do you keep fit?
Ha. Like I said I have four kids so they keep me busy. And just always staying active. We don’t sit around in this household!
- What item(s) can you not live without while traveling on the road with Monster Jam?
Of course I can’t leave my gear home. But just the essentials: phone, wallet, clothes. Other than that, let’s go!
- What is your favorite city to travel to? Why?
I’ve been asked this a bunch, and I cannot point out one place. I just enjoy traveling and being out on the road!
- What countries have you visited with Monster Jam?
I’ve been all over the U.S, Canada and Mexico. In 2023 I get to travel overseas for my first international tour!
- How did you get started competing in Monster Jam?
I got hooked up with Mike Vaters and the Black Stallion Team back in 2007. I started out crewing, working my way to crew chief for a few years. In 2012, I got my first opportunity to drive in some events. In 2014, I went full time driving and did my first Monster Jam event in the fall of 2014!
- What is your favorite part about competing in Monster Jam?
The atmosphere. When you’re at a Monster Jam event, you just know you’re at the big leagues! And all the best fans come out!
- How would you describe your driving style?
Smart and competitive
- What advice would you give to kids who want to become a Monster Jam driver?
Follow your dream! I was once that kid in the stands dreaming of it. I worked hard for it and had the right opportunities that I ran with! If you set your goals and fight for them, you can achieve a lot.
- What is your greatest memory as a Monster Jam driver?
Getting to compete with people that I’ve watched while growing up, and, of course, getting to compete at Monster Jam World Finals.
- Who in Monster Jam do you look up to for inspiration?
I can’t point one exactly. There are a lot of talented drivers out there that I take a little inspiration from all.
- What’s your favorite movie?
- I like the Back to the Future series, any good comedy movies
- What’s your favorite television show?
I honestly don’t watch TV much, but impractical Jokers, Family Guy, Family Feud, and of course SpongeBob for the kids!
- What’s your favorite color?
- What’s your favorite thing to eat?
- What's your favorite restaurant on the road?
A good steak place
- How would your friend and family describe you?
Go getter, hard worker, fun time to be around
ARENA SERIES CENTRAL
CHAMPION: BRANDON VINSON
POINTS THROUGH APR. 16, 2023
|1||Brandon Vinson/Matt Cody||Grave Digger||1026||-|
|2||Jon Zimmer Jr.||Terminal Velocity||972||-54|
|3||Zack Garner||Wild Side||804||-222|
|5||Coty Saucier/Brandon Arthur||Dragon||718||-308|
|6||Brandan Tulachka||Just Get Er Done II||643||-383|
|7||Jamie Sullivan||Monster Mutt Dalmatian||523||-503|